POSITION TITLE: President and Chief Executive Officer REPORTING TO: Board of Directors LOCATION: Redondo Beach, CA THE COMPANY: Redondo Beach Chamber of Commerce
The Redondo Beach Chamber of Commerce is one of the leading business organizations in the South Bay region of Los Angeles County. The Chamber is focused on enhancing the economic vitality of the community and advocating in the interest of business. The Chamber’s membership exceeds 500. We are dedicated to supporting the growth and development of business by initiating collaborative efforts in economic development, and working to influence public policy that enhances economic vitality in the South Bay.
Our members have a multitude of networking and educational programs from which to choose; along with a wide selection of value added benefits. Our printed Guide to Redondo is delivered to Redondo Beach households. In addition, we distribute several weekly online publications to our members. Our agreement with the local Beach Reporter newspaper provides the chamber with a monthly article to highlight programs and services. We plan to resume our weekly radio program The South Bay Show, Redondo Beach, More to Sea, in 2018.
The Chamber brings the community together through its signature events including, the regional Super Bowl Sunday 10k and the Lobster Festival. Additionally, we work closely with, and support, our hoteliers’ destination marketing efforts.
The Redondo Beach Chamber was a founding member of the South Bay Association of Chambers of Commerce (SBACC), which represents the interests of 18 area chambers. We have always been a strong and active leader in the SBACC, with our CEO and a number of Board Chairs serving as Chair of the SBACC Board over the years.
The Core Values of the Chamber include: Creating a Strong Local Economy Promoting the Community Representing the Interests of Business with Government Providing Networking & Promotion Opportunities Taking Political Action
The President/Chief Executive Officer will provide high profile leadership, vision, guidance and strategic direction for the programs and personnel of the Redondo Beach Chamber of Commerce. The President/CEO will facilitate and lead staff and board efforts to achieve the mission and goals of the Chamber as approved by the Board of Directors. The President/CEO has full profit and loss responsibility. The President/CEO will demonstrate knowledge and expertise on economic development principles, the regional economy, political environment, tourism development, marketing and branding concepts, membership sales, and the opportunities and challenges leading to the growth and prosperity of large and small employers in the region. The President/CEO will demonstrate openness to ideas from a variety of sources and focus on achieving “best in class” outcomes.
The successful candidate for this position must be a leader and a passionate advocate for propelling the Chamber to achieve standards of excellence. He/she will be a highly collaborative leader with the ability to successfully manage current programs, while developing new programs and strategic initiatives for the chamber, and forming mutually beneficial partnerships with city leaders and business and community organizations within the region and state.
SCOPE AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
The Chamber Chief Executive Officer:
Coordinates and implements the many activities of the Chamber of Commerce, working within the framework of the policy and guidelines established by the Board of Directors and Executive Committee. He/she coordinates and delegates the activities of councils, committees and task forces, and supervises the work of Chamber staff in the line with the Chamber's core values and objectives. As the chief staff officer, he/ she may be called upon to represent the Chamber Board of Directors with the membership, external organizations and individuals, public agencies and officials, and with general public. The CEO must possess good judgment and professionalism to foster excellent community/chamber relations. The Chief Executive Officer reports to the Executive Committee and the Board of Directors.
ADDITIONAL RESPONSIBILITIES INCLUDE BUT AREN'T LIMITED TO:
- Assure an effective membership recruitment and retention plan is in place.
- Provide membership and finance metrics and goals each month to the Executive Committee and Board of Directors.
- Develop and maintain relationships with as many members as possible. Consistently be aware of member business goals and concerns, for the purpose of maintaining good membership relations and communications throughout the business community.
- Identify common member objectives and issues the Chamber should address. Recruit members to actively participate on Chamber committees and programs.
- Maintain current statistics and knowledge of the area economic strengths and weaknesses.
- Cultivate good relationships with city, county, state and federal governments and their elected officials and staff.
- Maintain a high level of communication among the Chamber officers, directors, staff, committees, and members as well as between the Chamber and the community at-large.
- Coordinate the activities of the Chamber committees, with the Board of Directors and Executive Committee, and provide necessary personal and staff assistance.
- Oversee all staff activities of the Chamber including the hiring, evaluation and termination of employees.
- Prepare and implement an annual budget for the Chamber, and ensure expenditures are consistent with the budget.
- Inform the Executive Committee and Board of Directors of various challenge areas and activities throughout the community that may affect the business sector.
- Oversee all Chamber marketing and public relations activities.
A minimum of 5 years executive/senior level management experience (including managing staff) with a private business/corporation, trade association, economic development and/or related public sector entity, or not-for-profit organization.
Candidates must exhibit strong organizational, management, financial, public policy, business advocacy, interpersonal and written/verbal communication skills.
The ideal profile of career experiences would include a blend of experience in the chamber’s core values:
- Economic Development - Community Promotion - Government Relations - Events - Networking & Promotion Opportunities - Political Action
In addition, experience in an executive level role in large corporate or entrepreneurial environment is desirable. A proven successful executive with the ability to provide dynamic internal and external leadership to the Chamber to achieve revenue objectives, budgeted annual gross and net revenue, and other program and financial goals within the annual business plan.
A successful senior level executive with a demonstrated record of delivering results in line with the objectives of a strategic plan.
- Experience with Microsoft Office Applications - Understand Content Management Systems and Social Media/Digital Media Platforms.
- Bachelor’s degree in business, communications, or a related field is required WACE Academy or US Institute for - Organization Management or similar preferred
CONTACT AND DEADLINE: Please submit a completed application package to: (Resume & Questionnaire)
Ann Garten CEO Succession Committee Chair firstname.lastname@example.org Or Redondo Beach Chamber of Commerce 119 W. Torrance Blvd., Suite 2 Redondo Beach, CA 90277 Applications accepted through 5:00 p.m. March 30, 2018
PRESIDENT & CEO APPLICANT SUPPLEMENTAL QUESTIONNAIRE
Thank you for expressing your interest in the President/ CEO position for the Redondo Beach Chamber of Commerce. As part of the application package, please provide your written response to the following 3 questions. Please limit your written response to no more than one page for each question. send your completed questionnaire, along with your resume, to Ann Garten – email@example.com. If you have any questions, please contact Ann via email or by calling 310-749-7178. Name:
1. Please describe how your professional experience leading a Chamber, non-profit or other organization makes you the best candidate for this position.
2. What do you view as the top three economic opportunities in Redondo Beach and what would you recommend the Redondo Beach Chamber do to take advantage of these opportunities?
3. What do you view as the top three current challenges facing Redondo Beach, and what would you recommend the Redondo Beach Chamber do to overcome these challenges?