Hollywood is the Beach; Redondo Beach, that is…..
Location for Movies
- The 2010 independent feature film Nesting was filmed in Redondo Beach at the South Bay Galleria.
- The 2009 feature film The Butterfly Room was filmed in Redondo Beach at the South Bay Galleria.
- The 2007 feature film G-Force was filmed in Redondo Beach at the South Bay Galleria.
- In the 2007 movie 1408, starring John Cusack, the beach scene is set at Hermosa Pier and Redondo Beach.
- While Redondo Beach was the destination for the road-tripping family in Little Miss Sunshine (2006), the scenes at the end of the movie were actually filmed in Ventura, California.
- Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End, starring Johnny Depp and Orlando Bloom, was filmed in Redondo Beach’s King Harbor. The Black Pearl, a cursed sea vessel, was moored in the harbor for several weeks in 2006.
- Scenes from Big Momma's House 2 (2006) starring Martin Lawrence were filmed on the Redondo Beach Strand and the Redondo Beach Pier.
- The 2004 feature film Fat Albert was filmed in Redondo Beach at the South Bay Galleria.
- The 2003 documentary Eddie Griffin was filmed in Redondo Beach at the South Bay Galleria.
- The Redondo Union High School football stadium on Pacific Coast Highway was featured in The Hot Chick (2002) starring Rob Schneider.
- John Travolta's character in Pulp Fiction (1994), Vincent Vega, lived in Redondo Beach.
- Scenes from Point Break (1991) starring Keanu Reeves and Patrick Swayze were filmed in Redondo Beach. The gas station explosion scene took place at the intersection of Beryl and Catalina, while the foot chase passed Dive N' Surf.
- Men at Work (1990) starring Charlie Sheen and Emilio Estevez was filmed in Redondo Beach, which instead went by the pseudonym "Las Playas."
- Redondo Beach is home of the fictional Bird of Paradise Motel in the 1990 film The Two Jakes starring Jack Nicholson.
- Parts of the 1988 movie, Tequila Sunrise, were filmed on the Esplanade in Redondo Beach. Kurt Russell wears a RUHS (Redondo Union High School) senior class ring in the movie.
- The eponymous race in the 1981 film The Cannonball Run ended in Redondo Beach.
Backdrop for Television
- Episodes of KTLA’s 90210 are filmed in various areas of Redondo Beach including the Pier, Riviera Village, and the Esplanade (2009 – present).
- The television show Dexter has been filming at the Redondo Beach Pier.
- TV commercials for Champs Sports were filmed at the South Bay Galleria in 2011, 2003 & 2002
- The live-action reality TV show that airs on Cartoon Network Dude, What Would Happen filmed some of its episodes in the South Bay Galleria in 2010.
- Episodes of Tosh.0 were filmed in the South Bay Galleria in 2010.
- The old CompUSA building served as a soundstage for the Old Navy “Modelquinn” TV commercials from 2009 - 2010
- Two episodes of Modern Family (the “Pilot” and “Bad Santa”) were filmed in the South Bay Galleria in 2009.
- Surviving Disaster, which aired on Spike in 2009, filmed an episode in the Redondo Beach South Bay Galleria.
- An episode of TNT’s Trust Me was filmed in the South Bay Galleria in 2008. +
- A TV commercial for Best Buy was filmed at the South Bay Galleria in 2008
- The Pilot episode of the NBC TV show Chuck was filmed in the South Bay Galleria in 2007.
- In 2006 Medium crews were seen shooting at a local coffee shop.
- The Fox series 24 starring Kiefer Sutherland filmed scenes in Redondo Beach at the AES Power Plant on North Harbor Drive from 2005 to 2006.
- In 2004 and 2005, Fox Studios filmed exterior shots for the television show The OC throughout Redondo Beach, not Newport Beach which is where the characters on the show actually called home.
- A TV commercial for Ford Focus was filmed at the South Bay Galleria in 2004
- A TV commercial for Reese’s was filmed at the South Bay Galleria in 2002
- A TV commercial for Burger King, filmed for the German market starring Cindy Crawford, was filmed at the South Bay Galleria in 2002
- A TV commercial for JC Penny was filmed at the South Bay Galleria in 2002
- The television show CSI:Miami has been filmed in Redondo Beach.
- Episodes of the Fox TV show Ally McBeal were filmed in the South Bay Galleria in 2001.
- An episode of the ABC TV Show The Practice was filmed in the South Bay Galleria in 2000.
- From 1999 – 2000, Disney's Even Stevens used to film its mall episodes at the Redondo Beach South Bay Galleria. They also used Aviation's track field for its outside gym scenes.
- An episode of the Fox TV Show Party of Five was filmed in the South Bay Galleria in 1995.
- A TV commercial for Washington Apple was filmed at the South Bay Galleria in 1995
- The '90s television show California Dreams is set in Redondo Beach.
- The internationally known Baywatch has filmed many of its television episodes within Redondo Beach’s King Harbor.
- A first season episode of Star Trek: The Original Series called "Operation: Annihilate!" had scenes of the planet Deneva, which were filmed at the TRW (currently Northrop Grumman) headquarters in this town.
- TruTV's show Speeders has made a few appearances in Redondo Beach.
- Riptide, a detective series that ran from 1983 to 1986, was filmed in Redondo Beach’s King Harbor for 3 seasons.
In Songs & Videos
- Redondo Beach is the subject of a Patti Smith song of the same name on her 1975 album Horses. It was covered by Morrissey in 2004 and released as a single in 2005.
- Redondo Beach is mentioned in the song Surfin USA by The Beach Boys.
- The Edison Power Plant is the filming location of Britney Spears music video (You Drive Me) Crazy.
- The Redondo Beach Fun Factory, down on the Redondo Beach International Boardwalk, is the filming location of Boys Like Girls of their single Love Drunk.
The City of Redondo Beach welcomes inquiries from responsible producers and location managers in the film and television industries. We have in Redondo Beach a myriad of location possibilities, including beautiful King Harbor, Redondo Pier, South Bay Galleria, Riviera Village and the Esplanade.
To ensure that the filming of movies, television programs, commercials and special events does not unnecessarily disturb the residents or businesses in this community, the City of Redondo Beach has adopted a Policy Statement containing the rules and procedures all film companies must follow. The City reserves the right to revoke filming privileges if these policies are violated.
For more information, click here.